My SpaceShack Interview with Elina Gough from Arts Snug

Image courtesy of Arts Snug

INTRODUCE YOURSELF AND TELL US WHERE YOU’RE BASED

I’m Elina Gough, born in Latvia but calling London my home for last year seven years. I own my own art retail business ArtSnug, am a proud owner of a Greyhound girl Blitz and in my free time I sing soprano at Philharmonia Chorus.

WHAT DO YOU FOR A LIVING?

I 'artcessorise' people’s homes, either by helping them choose the right artwork at one of ArtSnug pop-up shops across London or by working with interior designers and architects on their clients’ projects.

DESCRIBE YOUR DESIGN STYLE IN THREE WORDS

Functionality. Provenance. Quality.

EXPLAIN WHY YOU CHOSE TO COLLABORATE WITH SPACE SHACK?

The best kind of collaboration is when it doesn't feel like work at all and you still get amazing results. That's how I feel when working together with Omar & Space Shack - ideas flow & solutions come together effortlessly even with very tight turnaround.

 Arts Snug's recent addition -  Jenni Allen's 'Untitled Black' 

Arts Snug's recent addition - Jenni Allen's 'Untitled Black' 

WHERE IS YOUR FAVOURITE DESIGNER PLACE TO SHOP?

While not a designer place as such, I often use Pinterest as an aggregator – finding items that I like and then sourcing them online or at bricks & mortar retailers. This way I often find amazing little retailers that I had no idea about!

WHO IS THE BIGGEST INFLUENCE ON YOUR WORK?

It is my customers and seeing how, often childishly, happy they are when they find artwork they cannot live without!

 Another Arts Snug discovery - 'Aviatress' by A New Romance

Another Arts Snug discovery - 'Aviatress' by A New Romance

DESCRIBE HOW YOU WORK?

I spend 80% of my time on what I call ArtSnug Now – being at pop-ups, working on clients’ projects and trying to stay on the top of admin. The other 20% is ArtSnug Tomorrow, which is all about growing the business – be it signing new artists or venues onboard or doing other future-facing projects.

WHAT’S THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE ON THE PROJECT?

The biggest challenge is to make sure that the 80% doesn’t turn into 90% or 100%. To do that time-management and self-discipline is critical, which are not necessarily my forte.

 'Disco' by Oli Fowler

'Disco' by Oli Fowler

WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE SPACE IN YOUR HOME?

I absolutely love my home office! As I spend quite a lot of time there it was important for me that it's cosy yet functional. It is also the only place in the whole house where I haven't compromised on anything - from big items like vintage Borge Mogensen desk and String shelving system to small things like Plumen lamp and my favourite artists' work.

DO YOU HAVE ANY DESIGN ADVICE?

Trust your instinct, particularly with things you’re not too sure if you like or not. If you have to convince yourself, it’s probably not the right thing.

You can get in touch with Elina and check out Arts Snug by visiting artssnug.com